Well, this wasn't the longest drive of the vacation, but it was close. We ended up leaving Loveland at 8:15 a.m. which was pretty close to on schedule. We had a small mishap just south of the Wyoming border. One of the caps on our camper bumper decided to make a break for it and fell off. That would be fine except that the bumper houses our two sewer hoses. We were driving along just enjoying the landscape when a car pulled up beside us waving and pointing in the direction of the camper. Fortunately I realized that something was wrong and they weren't just admiring our beautiful Palomino Stampede. Sure enough, one sewer hose was hanging out and banging on the concrete while going down the road. Needless to say it was beat up pretty bad and fortunately we have a back up.
We stopped at a really nice rest area about 100 miles into Wyoming and ate lunch. This time we just ate in the camper. The weather was really pleasant and the sandwich lunch was good. We then hit the road and even now it's hard to believe, but we drove 4 more hours without stopping once. The girls were amazing! We drove into Shoshone pretty much on fumes and refueled. We then headed due north for Cody. We immediately came into some of the most beautiful scenery on our trip yet. The highway took us through the Wind River Canyon. This was a winding river with the highway on one side and a railroad track on the other. It reminded me a little of the Million Dollar Highway north of Durango, but this trek was more rustic. Not much trees and rocks of every different color. It was really amazing. We arrived at the Buffalo Bill State Park in Cody at about 7:00 p.m. This will be interesting because the campground has no hookups so we are trying our hand at boondocking. That is where you basically live off the battery power of the trailer to live. It shouldn't be too hard.
Tomorrow we head into Yellowstone National Park. I'm not sure when or if I will be able to update so it may be several days. Hopefully you will hear from us before July 4.

Entering the wonderful (and sometimes flat) state of Wyoming

Did I mention that Wyoming is sometimes flat? We saw this kind of stuff quite often today.

Still somewhat sane after 4 hours in the truck.

The duo looks natural in this setting, huh? This is inside the Wind River Canyon.

This was a railroad tunnel in the canyon. They were all really cool because they looked like old mining entrances.

This was one of our tunnels in the canyon. Don't mind the bugs that have collected on the windshield.

Early on in my plans for the vacation, I was contemplating visiting Devils Tower (Close Encounters Movie Location). We decided not to visit this trip, but then this little flattop came along. It's close, don't you think?

11 Hours in a vehicle and then you come across this. Kind of makes it all worth it.

One last tunnel before our stop for the day. This one was about 1/3 of a mile long with lights and everything. It was fun for the girls. This was located just west of Cody, WY.
We stopped at a really nice rest area about 100 miles into Wyoming and ate lunch. This time we just ate in the camper. The weather was really pleasant and the sandwich lunch was good. We then hit the road and even now it's hard to believe, but we drove 4 more hours without stopping once. The girls were amazing! We drove into Shoshone pretty much on fumes and refueled. We then headed due north for Cody. We immediately came into some of the most beautiful scenery on our trip yet. The highway took us through the Wind River Canyon. This was a winding river with the highway on one side and a railroad track on the other. It reminded me a little of the Million Dollar Highway north of Durango, but this trek was more rustic. Not much trees and rocks of every different color. It was really amazing. We arrived at the Buffalo Bill State Park in Cody at about 7:00 p.m. This will be interesting because the campground has no hookups so we are trying our hand at boondocking. That is where you basically live off the battery power of the trailer to live. It shouldn't be too hard.
Tomorrow we head into Yellowstone National Park. I'm not sure when or if I will be able to update so it may be several days. Hopefully you will hear from us before July 4.
Entering the wonderful (and sometimes flat) state of Wyoming
Did I mention that Wyoming is sometimes flat? We saw this kind of stuff quite often today.
Still somewhat sane after 4 hours in the truck.
The duo looks natural in this setting, huh? This is inside the Wind River Canyon.
This was a railroad tunnel in the canyon. They were all really cool because they looked like old mining entrances.
This was one of our tunnels in the canyon. Don't mind the bugs that have collected on the windshield.
Early on in my plans for the vacation, I was contemplating visiting Devils Tower (Close Encounters Movie Location). We decided not to visit this trip, but then this little flattop came along. It's close, don't you think?
11 Hours in a vehicle and then you come across this. Kind of makes it all worth it.
One last tunnel before our stop for the day. This one was about 1/3 of a mile long with lights and everything. It was fun for the girls. This was located just west of Cody, WY.

Nice photos. That flattop does look like Devils Tower. I'm really craving mashed potatoes now!
ReplyDeleteFun! Fun! WOW that is a lot of hours driving. I am glad you all survived. Looks like you guys are having such a great time. I sure wish I was with ya. Can't wait till your next update.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! You are all having so much fun!!!!! I love the photos and the stories that go with them. I am so glad that your little mishap was only little. Thank goodness! I know you are having the time of your life tonight in Yellowstone. Eat a s'more for me!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad I get to hear about your trip. It's almost like being there with you guys!
ReplyDeleteJeanne